This my most favorite chutney recipe because of the simple ingredients it takes and its such an effortless dish.
Its my ‘magic wand’ recipe whenever I need to build a meal in hurry, as this goes perfectly well with chapatis, rice, idlis, dosas and even toasted bread! I got this recipe from my mom, she used to call it tomato chutney. This is my special version with some additional ingredients and flavors. This chutney can be perfect for about a week if stored in the refrigerator.
- 3 tspns vegetable oil
- 1/2 tspn turmeric
- 1 heaping tspn red chili powder (cayenne pepper)
- 2 heaping tspn dessicated coconut powder (or fresh coconut)
- 1/2 tspn urad dal
- 4 tspn chana dal
- 3-4 dried red chili (optional)
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 large tomato diced
- 1/2 tspn tamarind paste
- 1 tspn jaggery
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a large pan. When the oil is hot add urad dal and chana dal. Saute for 2-3 minutes until the dals turn golden brown.
- Add dessicated coconut powder, and saute for about 1 minute.
- Add the onions and 1/2 tspn salt and mix well. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Now add the turmeric powder and red chili powder. Add the tomatoes, tamarind and jaggery. Mix well and cook covered on medium heat for about 2 minutes or till the tomatoes are completely soft.
- Cool the chutney a little and then puree in a blender, till smooth. (Make sure to vent the blender lid slightly when blending hot stuff).
- Serve with rice, rotis and dosa. You can also serve this with corn chips or pita bread as a dip.