If I think of how often I crave for some tempting and spicy appetizer for dinner, it would be almost daily! I love having a spicy crispy side dish with my humble rice and dal dinner! And this is one those recipes which can add fun to your weekday dinners. Also its a super fast tea time snack, spicy crispy just perfect with hot chai !
This is my mum’s recipe, she makes the roasted crisps with potatoes and even eggplants. I love this recipe because it is not deep fried, hence it cuts down on the oil usage and time too! Since its not deep fried, I can have it almost daily without much of the ‘guilt’ baggage. 🙂 It just takes you about 15 mins, so please give it a try and enjoy!
- 2 large unpeeled potatoes, sliced thinly
- 4 heaping tspns chickpea flour
- 2 heaping tspns rice flour
- 1 tspn cornflour
- 1/2 tspn amchur powder
- 4 large cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tspn coriander (minced)
- 1/2 tspn turmeric
- 1 tspn red chili powder
- 1/2 tspn Pav bhaji masala / Garam masala
- Salt to taste
- Oil for roasting.
- Slice the potatoes and place them in a bowl of iced water.
- Mix all the flours in a wide bowl, this blend of flours will make the potatoes crispy.
- Add in all the other ingredients to the flour mixture and set aside.
- Heat a nonstick pan, and brush it with oil.
- Drain the potatoes but do not dry them. Immediately toss the potatoes in the flour mixture. The mixture should stick to the potatoes.
- If it seems dry, sprinkle just enough cold water to make the flour coat the potato slices.
- Lay the potato slices on the pan, and roast the slices on medium heat for about 2 minutes.
- Then brush oil on the potato slices and turn them on the pan. When both sides are roasted and golden brown, take them off the pan.
- The potato crisps may turn very slightly charred/burnt during the pan roasting, this will them a nice charred flavor. But do not burn them too much,else they will taste bitter.
- Serve the potato crisps with tomato ketchup immediately for optimal crunch.
Tagged: breakfast, Cayenne pepper, Chili pepper, Chutney, Cook, Cooking, Coriander, Flour, food, healthy recipe, healthy salad, healthy snack, Home, hunger pangs, indian food, Potato, quick and easy, Recipe, vegetarian, Wine tasting descriptors